- Category: Mexico
- Published: Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:19
- Written by Agent Doug Hartley
- Hits: 2184
Planning a trip to Mexico in your car, truck, RV or on your motorcycle? Do you live in the Gresham, Oregon area? We offer insurance by the day or the year, liability or full coverage, while your vehicle is in Mexico.
Most auto insurance companies restrict coverage to just when you are on United States soil or Canada. Once you cross over the border, the insurance on your vehicle ends. A few insurance carriers are now extending coverage to a certain distance over the border, say 50 miles.
If your car is financed, the contract may have a limitation which doesn't allow you to cross the border with your car unless you have purchased insurance specifically to cover it while in Mexico. You should check with your lender for any restrictions before you start your journey. We can help you get the coverage you need to meet your lenders requirements.
Mexico has passed laws which severely punish the driver who causes serious injury or death to another person while in Mexico. Although you might be able to enter the country with your vehicle without insurance, certain areas may require insurance. Having to purchase the coverage may be a lot more expensive than if you buy it here before you leave.
Please Note: Neither the agents nor the insurance companies offering vehicle insurance for Mexico are regulated by any state insurance division in the U.S. Any complaint or failure to pay will have to be dealt with by a regulatory agency in Mexico.
The coverages available on a policy for Mexico are quite extensive:
- Third Party Liability ($300,000 minimum recommended now with new laws)
- Excess Death Liability (included in Third Party but may be increased)
- Medical Payments (Coverage for Driver and Passengers)
- Physical Damage (less a deductible of $500 or $1000)
- Total Theft (less a deductible of $1000 or $1500)
- Vandalism (may be included under Physical Damage)
- Uninsured Motorist (extends the Medical Payments if hit by an uninsured driver)
- Legal Assist / Bail Bond
- Road Assistance
- Medical Evacuation (Air and Land)
- Plane Tickets Home (if vehicle stolen or not drivable)
The vehicles you can insure are:
- RVs (Motor homes),
- and motorcycles).
We can also include coverage for vehicles, like a utility or travel trailer, that you tow behind your pickup or SUV. If you are towing a car behind a motorhome, we recommend that you buy a separate policy for that car if you plan on detaching and driving it when you arrive at your destination.
If you live in the Gresham, Oregon area, please let us help you with a no-obligation quote for your vehicle before you head south to Mexico! Buen Viaje!